Become a Member of Management HQ’s Executive Team.
Join the Management HQ (MHQ) team and help transform membership associations and communities. Our innovative, entrepreneurial, fast-paced work environment offers unlimited opportunities for learning, growth and collaboration.
MHQ is an accredited, full-service association management company. We provide management, leadership and infrastructure to national and international professional and trade associations. We primarily serve associations in identity-based human services and education sectors.
MHQ exists to serve associations that are determined to thrive. Our work is guided by these core values:
- Compassion: We believe in the absolute value of human kindness.
- Openness: We’re only as strong as we are different. Diversity is sound strategy.
- Service: Work is worth doing when it helps others thrive.
- Integrity: We do our best, we honor our principles, and we’re true to our word.
Position Executive Director
Job Type Full Time
Head Quarters Minneapolis, Minnesota (Management HQ is open to a candidate who would work remotely from their home with scheduled trips to Minneapolis, MN).
Position Goal To serve Management HQ association clients, their members, and all other stakeholders with unrivaled excellence.
Reporting This position reports to the president of Management HQ.
About the Position
As an employee of Management HQ (MHQ), 75% of the executive director’s time will be dedicated to leading an international client- association of professionals focused on advocacy and training in matters related to dying, death, grief, and loss. The other 25% time will be dedicated to supporting other MHQ clients and projects.
The director must have the business acumen and entrepreneurial skills needed to expand the value and global impact of an association with this focus.
- Oversee all functional areas of operations, including membership development, event management, sponsorships and partnerships, education and certification management, and marketing.
- Shape strategic plans for associations and guide the implementation of these plans.
- Lead, coordinate and inform association volunteers to effectively represent clients and their members with key constituencies.
- Ensure that lawmakers, government officials, and other key constituencies are informed of the facts, conditions, and policies that impact clients and their members.
- Direct programs in a cost-efficient manner in accordance with the culture and brand of the organization.
- Implement decisions and policies approved by the association leadership, communicate objectives and strategies to staff team, and coordinate duties of committees and staff.
- Lead and implement projects, programs and events that the organization undertakes through our project-based leadership system, including providing project management support to team members, volunteers, staff, and vendors.
- Manage client & project budgets, maintaining regular reporting processes and adhering to financial policies and controls.
Note: Executive Director does NOT have direct reports.
Financial Oversight & Development
- Develop and advance fundraising efforts for clients.
- Oversee financial aspects, conduct operations to achieve budget plans, and maintain accountability and financial controls.
- Provide financial reports to leadership on a regular basis.
- Oversee client marketing and communications plans and tactics, including newsletters, social media, brochures, directories, general mailings, ballots, event promotional material, and surveys.
- Maintain effective internal and external relationships and communicate timely and effectively.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key media, provide oversight in developing and maintaining media list, distribution of press releases, and conduct follow-up work to support media placements and visibility for associations’ clients.
- Support other marketing and communications as assigned.
- Proven track record of successfully managing and implementing projects and processes within complex environments and with multiple stakeholders.
- Proven track record of delivering excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Excellent verbal and written business communications skills.
- Association management experience desired.
- Experience with and knowledge of the legislative process.
Client-Specific Qualifications (Desired)
- A proven track record in growing mission-driven professional associations as sustainable enterprises.
- An interest and appreciation for the association’s unique value and mission.
- A willingness to learn and work collaboratively with leadership and membership, the content experts.
- High interest in promoting conversations related to dying, death, grief and loss.
- An appreciation for the importance of and need for high quality, culturally-appropriate information about death education and counseling.
- Ability to build relationships within large, international organizations.
- Ability to foster effective relations among a diverse array of individuals with varied backgrounds and professions.
- Ability to inspire, motivate and secure buy-in from diverse stakeholders, by articulating a clear vision and compelling rationale.
- Highly professional demeanor with a growth mindset.
- Disciplined entrepreneur with a “servant-leader” attitude.
- Highly organized and able to effectively prioritize a dynamic workload.
- Able to work effectively in changing roles within a team: sometimes leading, sometimes supporting.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is competitive based on qualifications. Benefits package includes health insurance, transportation or parking and cell phone reimbursement, and professional development allotment.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements electronically to email@example.com. Please title your e-mail “MHQ Association Executive Director Position.” This position will be posted until filled.